Re: Proposal: use /usr/bin/open as an alternative for run-mailcap and others.

(Re-added Charles to Cc as he asked in his original mail)

Andreas Metzler <ametzler@bebt.de> writes:

> On 2020-10-07 Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> wrote:
>> Hello everybody, hello Debian freedesktop.org maintainers,
>
>> /bin/open has been kindly freed a couple years ago (#732796) and I would
>> like to propose to repurpose it as a standard command for opening files,
>> like on Mac OS and NextStep before it.
> [...]
>
> I do not get the reason for this change. Surely we do not expect
> people to manually type
>
> open penguin.jpeg
>
> in an xterm window, because they do not know how to handle the file.
> They will usually *klick* on it and some infernal magic will invoke the
> correct program, be it named xdg-open or geeqie.

Not everybody is an expert, and I think the proposal is for the benefit
of those that don't or don't want to know/remember the invocation of
the right program for every specific data format and using a short,
easy-to-remember name for this purpose.

And Re: Stephan's mail: if you want to use a specific program to handle
your data for a specific purpose, "open" is not intended for your use
case. I'd say you can safely ignore it.

Regards,

Carsten