Re: Bits from the DPL (August 2019)

On dj., set. 19 2019, Jerome BENOIT wrote:

On 19/09/2019 00:46, Sam Hartman wrote:

Init System Diversity
=====================
So perhaps sysvinit and init scripts have had their chance and it is time to move on. We could move away from init scripts as the default representation. We could stop caring about sysvinit (which isn't quite the same thing but is related). That would leave non-linux ports in an unfortunate position. But right now there are no non-linux ports in the main archive. So perhaps we don't even care about that. Again, a change, but a change that we can ask ourselves if we are ready to make.

This does not look as diversity.

Otherwise I am very surprise that Devuan was not mention at all.
May be it is time to work with the Devuan team and merge Devuan to Debian.

As someone involved in Devuan: please don't pull it into this.

Sam's *full* message, and not just the bit you quoted, is what *Debian* needs, which is what his current role asks for.

Mark (elogind's developer) works closely with Devuan but in general over there, there is consensus that whatever changes are worth having in Debian should happen in Debian whenever possible, which is where it has the greatest impact, and that is what this is about: determining if it is possible and desirable for Debian that this particular bit *also* happens in Debian.

And that truly has nothing to do with Devuan or what people think of it.
--
Evilham