Re: Research survey: Impact of Microsoft Acquisition of GitHub

Hello Ian and others,

First, on behalf of the professors, we apologize for not replying earlier, as any response from developers is important.
I had been on vacation and also wanted to carefully respond to you as Debian developers, as I believe our work is
to help FLOSS projects like yourselves.

My name is Raula, and I am one of the supervisors for our Intern (Asavaseri),
one of the professors responsible for her internship project. The
project was part of a short two-month Japan-Thai initiative for final year undergraduates
to understand aspects of graduate work in Software Engineering.

Although in a short period, we tried as much to develop a systematic method and ask
unbiased questions on this sensitive topic, yet am aware that we may have some short-fallings
since we are coming from an academic perspective and direct access to developers.
As researchers, we tried forums that were less intrusive to developers work and are prone to missing key developers.
In regards to the survey platform, we agree with statements that it is a flaw, we have a more anonymous version in SurveyMonkey,
but by then it was too late to gather more feedback. However, we have had generally positive feedback from
other distros, yet.

The key intention of the web results was a quick view and not in anyway depict a full analysis with implications and thought out
discussions are needed. We do plan to expand the study and submit all our results to reputable
software engineering peer-reviewed locations, however, if developers do not agree with this result, we are open to collaboration
and direct feedback from developers like yourselves.

Overall our intention is to assist with developers and we appreciate your feedback, which will help us to get a clearer picture of reality.

Best Regards,

Raula

--
Raula Gaikovina Kula, PhD.