Re: How to distinguish .udeb files from regular .deb files?

On Fri, Aug 19, 2016 at 01:47:15PM +0200, Philipp Hahn wrote:

> Is there some other (preferred) way to identify .udeb packages?
>
> 1. "Section: debian-installer"?
>
> 2. Some pages use the suffix "-udeb" or "-di" in their package names.
>
> 3. If the control file contains a "isinstallable" script.
> > dpkg -I 'potential.udeb' | grep -q isinstallable
>
> 4. If the control files has a "Installer-Menu-Item" field:
> > grep -I 'potential.udeb' | grep -q Installer-Menu-Item
>
> Other ideas?

Maybe: Lack of /usr/share/doc.

> Or is there a definitive answer hidden somewhere?

There is no spoon. AFAIK, udebs are just like regular debs but with
less strict policy requirements, so in theory, you will never be able
to tell for sure, based solely on its contents and not the filename,
whether a given package is an udeb or just a deb which does not follow
debian policy.

Thanks.