Re: Making Debian ports less burdensome

On 02/27/2016 02:41 PM, Steven Chamberlain wrote:
>   * B-D Uninstallable can be a huge list, where dozens of those only
>     wait for just one package - it makes sense to group/collapse them;
>     (this happens in the dose pages also)

I have a question here: package A build-depends on libB. A has
Arch: any or Arch: linux-any in debian/control. libB OTOH only
has e.g. Arch: amd64 i386 mips in it's control file.

If A is in principle portable (i.e. other than the fact that
libB isn't ported to those archs yet, there's nothing intrinsic
in A that shouldn't work on any architecture), what is the
correct way of handling this?

 - keep everything as is:

   Disadvantage: listed as BD-Uninstallable on multiple
   architectures where libB isn't built

   Advantage: once libB is ported to a new architecture, the
   buildds will take care of everything (at worst a gb or binnmu
   is needed)

 - explicitly list the architectures of libB also in A

   Disadvantage: maintenance burden for maintainer (maintainer
   of A needs to explicitly track changes in libB to support
   ports)

   Disadvantage: requires source upload to build on new arch
   once libB is ported

   Advantage: no BD-Uninstallable status in buildds

From the perspective of a porter: which one would you prefer and
why?

Regards,
Christian