Re: Going ahead with non-free-firmware

> On Jan 09, Dominic Hargreaves <dom@earth.li> wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jan 09, 2016 at 11:51:08AM +0100, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
>> > I think there was consensus to introduce the non-free-firmware section
>> > and move the non-free firmware blobs there.  I'm wondering what we need
>> > to do next?
>> I applaud this call for action; I'd certainly be an enthusiastic
>> user.
> Me too, it's too bad that it took almost 15 years to reach a consensus
> over what I proposed at the time.

Count me in as well!

>> I think the *policy* for this section should be firmware, as defined
>> as code not executing on the main CPU, or something like that.
> Indeed.

I wonder if we should widen the scope of a "non-free-firmware"
component a little, to "anything non-free you sometimes unfortunately
need to make your hardware usable".
This would mean having a "non-free-hardware" section instead, which
could possibly also include non-free drivers for certain software
components later.
Cheers,
    Matthias