Re: Upcoming version of apt-file - using apt-acquire and incompatibilities

On 2015-12-06 at 11:46, Jakub Wilk wrote:

> * The Wanderer <wanderer@fastmail.fm>, 2015-12-06, 08:50:
>
>> Er... the entire reason I started running 'apt-file update' in the
>> first place is because running 'apt-get update' was not, or did
>> not appear to be, updating the index which was used by apt-file.
>
> Quick sanity check: do you have apt-file (>= 3) installed? Because
> this is the package that ships the configuration file for APT that
> causes apt(-get) to download Contents-*.

$ apt-cache policy apt-file
apt-file:
  Installed: 2.5.4
  Candidate: 2.5.4
  Version table:
 *** 2.5.4 0
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ stable/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

So my inference at this point is that in testing and stable, 'apt-get
update' (and presumably 'apt update') does not update the apt-file
index, but in experimental and possibly sid it does.

IOW, this is not only new since I noticed the above, but new since
_now_.

--
   The Wanderer