Re: piece of mind (Re: Moderated posts?)

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 01:49:43PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> > On Mon, 13 Oct 2014, Joey Hess wrote:
> >
> > > Only thing I don't understand is why so few votes for systemd-shim out
> > > of the group who has it installed.
> >
> > Maybe noatime? That’s probably popular on desktops. “vote” does
> > not really say much, anyway.
>
> I doubt noatime has been popular for years, we have relatime.

relatime is almost as broken as atime.  Among other reasons, on a typical
system it adds multiple gigabytes of unique data to every cow snapshot.
Thus if you want btrfs backups, noatime is a must.

> systemd-shim getting pulled in on systems where it's not needed seems
> the most reasonable explanation. Which leaves the number of shim users
> quite small, compared with the number of systemd users.

shim doesn't appear to work, at least for me.  To get basic functionality
like shutdown from GUI, suspend or mounting USB drives, I needed to
downgrade the whole Utopia stack to their last working versions.

--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest temple