Re: Built-Using, again…

+++ Thorsten Glaser [2014-10-13 12:05 +0200]:
> Hi all,
>

> sbuild/buildd runs apt-get update, but not apt-get *upgrade,
> before each build. But I assume this should not be changed
> either…

I _think_ we don't do this because the upgrading uses a lot of time on
buildds, especially slow ones. I did do this (build in snapshot,
upgrade for every build) for the whole arm64 debian-ports bootstrap
and it worked fine, but the buildd did spend a lot of time upgrading
the same packages over and over until the snapshot was updated (which
was manual and done approx weekly). This particularly adds overhead to
small, quick builds.

I think existing policy on official buildds is to manually upgrade
chroots approx weekly or on request?

I would favour a daily snapshot/chroot upgrade (as opposed to
doing it on every build) as a compromise between 'every build' and
'weeklyish'. Is there a good reason for not doing that?

There is always a small risk of breakage on upgrades. Keeping the
spevious snapshot as a fallback would be one easy way of that not
usually causing any real problems for admins.

> So we need either a technical, or a policy-ical, or a human,
> solution to this problem, right?

The situation could clearly be improved. (I have an interest in
built-usuing currency for cross-toolchain builds).

Wookey
http://wookware.org/