Re: Bug #702005: Where can i get more attention on this?

Luis Alejandro Martínez Faneyth writes ("Bug #702005: Where can i get more attention on this?"):
> I'm a little worried about bug #702005 and the lack of attention
> it's getting.  This bug is marked as resolved, and indeed it has
> been resolved for jessie and sid, but not for wheezy. This bug
> breaks Python 2.7. Every person that tries to upgrade python2.7 and
> python2.7-minimal from version 2.7.3-6 to 2.7.3-6+deb7u2, is
> affected by this bug.

It's not clear from your messages here on -devel exactly what you
think the right next step is.  Reading the bug report, I think you are
suggesting that a particular patch should be backported to
debian-stable.

> Please, can someone upload the fix to wheezy also?  Or, how can i
> help?  Thanks,

Uploads to stable following the process documented here:
 https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#upload-stable

So the next step would be to file a bug against release.debian.org
asking for approval for inclusion of this patch in stable.

That approval request should come with clear explanation (from first
principles, aimed at someone who doesn't necessarily follow the
intricacies of the python packaging), of both the bug and the fix.

If you like I would be happy to review a draft of such an explanation
if you were to write one.  If you produce an explanation that
satisfies me, and you get approval from the stable team, I would also
be happy to review and sponsor your upload.

If you would like to try to take the lead in this way, it's probably
best to email me privately, perhaps CC the bug, with your drafts etc.
I don't think debian-devel need to see all of this.

>  This is affecting also every debian derivative based on stable, and
> is worth mentioning:

Of course we should try to do a good job in stable, but of course one
thing that a derivative can be expected to diverge on is questions of
release management.

Usually most of the work in backporting a fix is not in the technical
work of preparing the package - it is in analysing whether the fix is
appropriate for users or stable (and indeed, in persuading the
relevant release managemers).

Ian.