Re: Dreamhost dumps Debian

On 08/21/2013 05:45 PM, Kevin Chadwick wrote:
> Large hosting companies not having made their scripts etc. good enough
> to ride out upgrades well should have nothing to do with any decision.

I don't think the problem here is with "Large hosting companies not
having made their scripts etc. good enough". I don't think it has
anything to do with size, or the type of company, or even the activity.
I believe that the short life cycles of our stable releases is a problem
for *MANY* companies. Dreamhost is the tree hiding the forest.

On 08/21/2013 07:08 PM, Clint Byrum wrote:
> It also doesn't hurt that OpenStack does all commit gating on Ubuntu,
> thus making Ubuntu the preferred platform (RHEL/CentOS will likely
> join Ubuntu in the gate someday soon).

We asked Debian to be added. I hope that Debian will be added as a
non-voting gating one day. I'll try to push for that to happen.

> DreamHost is a player in
> OpenStack, so it may be that the momentum of Ubuntu plus OpenStack is
> just too great to ignore with the added pain of the 2 year upgrade
> treadmill.
>
> I will ask them when I visit their offices at the next OpenStack LA
> meetup. :)

Well, yes. But also OpenStack release cycles are even shorter than
Debian! Only a year, then the old stable is not supported anymore. It
doesn't make sense that Dreamhost is complaining about 2 years of
security support, when they are now in the "upgrade every 6 months"
OpenStack stuff... If they join me and become supporters of a kind of
"LTS" for OpenStack, that'd be great, and I would be very supportive of it.

Thomas