Re: UTF-8 in jessie

On 2013-08-12 04:18, Charles Plessy wrote:
> Le Mon, Aug 12, 2013 at 02:51:52AM +0200, Adam Borowski a écrit :
>>
>> I would like to propose full UTF-8 support.  I don't mean here full
>> support for all of Unicode's finer points, merely complete eradication of
>> mojibake.
>
> Hi Adam,

Hi,

> this is a great goal.  Here are two comments.
>
> There is a related issue opened on the Policy (<http://bugs.debian.org/701081>),
> where we propose the following:
>
>  - Require UTF-8 for the names of all files and directories installed by binary packages.

For the record, there is a Lintian tag for this now[1], which suggests
only a handful of packages violates this.

>  - Recommend ASCII when possible.
>  - Require ASCII for files in /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, /usr/sbin and /usr/games.

Requiring ASCII for files in $PATH should be trivial to implement as a
separate tag.  I suppose the ASCII requirement could also be implemented
as a pedantic check or so.  Regardless, patches welcome.  :)

> About display by GUIs, I think that we should have a system to install all the
> fonts necessary to display languages that we support at the installation.
>
> Have a nice Debconf !

~Niels

[1] http://lintian.debian.org/tags/file-name-is-not-valid-UTF-8.html