Re: [Pkg-javascript-devel] Node.js and it's future in debian

On 12-05-02 at 05:10pm, Patrick Ouellette wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 08:22:05PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> >
> > Maybe we should short-circuit this part of the conversation, since
> > it doesn't sound like you're horribly interested in agreeing to
> > change the name of node in the existing package.  :)
> >

> Actually, despite my vigorous defense of the ham radio use of node as
> a binary name, I am not adverse to renaming it provided it can be done
> in a manner that minimally disrupts the users.
>
> I believe the Node.js people need to help since they are the "late
> comers" and their upstream seems to be the issue, and they ignored
> policy at their peril to force the issue.

If I ignored Policy, as you keep saying, I would have lowered bug#611698
to a non-RC severity.

We have until now maintained Nodejs only in unstable because requests to
rename axnode was met with either silence or refusal with the reasoning
that axnode was more widely used in Debian than Nodejs.

Obviously Nodejs is not widely used in Debian when initially packaged.
So I've simply waited until it was really sensible to make such
comparison of popularity among the users of Debian.  Which seems to be
the case now - even if still impaired by Nodejs only offered to our
users of unstable and experimental Debian.

If Debian is frozen tomorrow, then Nodejs will not be part of it, for
the very reason that I *did* respect Policy.

> I'm more than a bit disappointed that this will be the second time a
> ham radio tool in Debian is forced to use a name the wider Linux ham
> community does not use.  No one seems to be considering the issues or
> complications caused to the ham users.  I've heard the assertion that
> the ham users are a "smaller" community, but I have not seen the
> numbers.  It seems the issue has come down to a popularity contest,
> and since the Node.js folks don't understand ham radio the ham radio
> people will be made to bear the burden of the change.

I do not want this to be judged _only_ on popularity, but it _is_
relevant - which you've also indicated yourself, e.g. when asking if
Nodejs is of any relevancy at all, and when pointing out that axnode has
a substantial userbase.

I am happy that this discussion is finally happening.

 - Jonas