Re: directory under /usr/bin -- Ok or not?

Thank you Steve !

With all due respect -- I disagree with your lines of
reasoning/support.

> The per-package subdir should be created instead under
> /usr/lib, and /usr/bin/cmtk can dispatch subcommands over there.

as I and John argued, FHS doesn't mandate them to be
under /usr/lib and actually allows for subdirectories under /usr/bin
(more below)

> /usr/bin is on the path.

100% correct

> Subdirs of /usr/bin are not on the path

also 100% correct, although could be made to be on the path (as any
other directory) upon user's intent, and could be executed "directly"

> and should not have to be added.
> (It actually *is* a requirement from the FHS, because the FHS says that a
> subdir in /usr/lib is the place where things must be placed; there's just no
> backlink from the definition of /usr/bin that makes this clear without
> reading the full FHS for context.)

as I have mentioned -- I see nowhere such a requirement, Moreover:

 - FHS seems to allow subdirectories under /usr/bin:
   "The following directories, or symbolic links to directories, must be
   in /usr/bin ..."

   and gives a nice example:

   "mh  Commands for the MH mail handling system (optional)"

 - /usr/lib is destined for
   "/usr/lib includes object files, libraries, and internal binaries
   that are not intended to be executed directly by users or shell
   scripts"

   so indeed anything which cannot be executed directly -- should go
   there.  But "executed directly" in my understanding is not solely
   being on the PATH -- if I can execute a tool via
   /usr/lib/PKG/bin/xxx -- it is direct execution  and thus should not
   be hidden under /usr/lib