Re: FTFBS in sarge

Jens Schmalzing <j.s@lmu.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Goswin von Brederlow writes:
>
>> I actually think it is a bug in the kernel-patch-powerpc package
>> (for having -all packages no !ppc user wnats)
>
> The general idea regarding kernel packages in Debian is to push
> architecture-specific patches first into the kernel-source package,
> and then into the vanilla kernel.  This means that people should be
> encouraged to build kernels from them on other architectures and see
> if anything breaks.
>
> Regards, Jens.
>
> --
> J'qbpbe, le m'en fquz pe j'qbpbe!
> Le veux aimeb et mqubib panz je pézqbpbe je djuz tqtaj!

Well, that is a pretty new thing. Are there realy people outside of
the kernel team (which probably use cvs/svn anyway) doing that?

I wonder if it would be possible to tell make-kpkg to build the -all
packages without invoking arch specific steps (which need the right
host arch). The binary-arch target could then be a nop for the wrong
archs and "dpkg-buildpackage -b" would work everywhere.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: Maybe something for the ToDo post sarge.