Re: /etc/profile should include sbin in PATH

At 18:46 +1100 2000-01-17, Brian May wrote:
>In all of this discussion, can somebody please tell me why
>login is in /bin/login?
>
>What user/system-administrator/whatever would want to manually
>run login?

I run it all the time.

>IMHO, login is a confusing program to the novice, as it is not
>intended to be run as a user program, but it is in /bin.

No, it is, as `exec login' in a shell. When used this way, login uses the
already allocated pty/tty and starts a new login session.
--
Joel Klecker (aka Espy)                    Debian GNU/Linux Developer
<URL:mailto:jk@espy.org>                 <URL:mailto:espy@debian.org>