Re: Why does the user 'nobody' have a shell?

>From man 5 passwd:

       The command interpreter field provides  the  name  of  the
       user's  command  language  interpreter, or the name of the
       initial program to execute.  Login uses  this  information
       to  set the value of the SHELL environmental variable.  If
       this field is empty, it defaults to the value /bin/sh.

So really, Debian isn't doing anything here other than making
the default explicit.

Processes running as 'nobody' still have an environment, and could
potentially make use of SHELL, could they not?  I think where you've gone
wrong is in interpreting this field strictly as a "login shell" field.

Ben