Re: potato Contents-i386.gz

On Fri, 07 Jan 2000, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
>On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 05:05:07PM +1100, Russell Coker wrote:
>> I have just downloaded this file and noticed that half the files in it start
>> with "./" and the other half start with "usr" (or whatever).
>>
>> Is it supposed to be like this?
>
>Yes. tar changed, but not all packages are build with the newer tar.
>Do you think there is an actual problem caused by that, or are yu just
>wondering?

Well as a general rule if you have a file with data in two different formats
then it's a sign that something is wrong.

As apparently the packaging method for the tar files has changed and we have
some packages built with the old version and some with the new it all makes
sense and I expect that they will all have the same format in the near future.

--
The ultimate result is that some innovations that would truly benefit
consumers never occur for the sole reason that they do not coincide with