Re: Where is libgl? [Wrong question?]

On Fri, Jan 07, 2000 at 12:17:23PM +1100, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
> Thanks to all the people that replied, but that wasn't
> quite what I was asking.
>
> At least two of the packages I listed have incorrect
> dependancies. Should the all depend on mesag3 or
> are we going to have a Provides: libgl somewhere.
>
> If so, has there been an agreed upon name?

Since OpenGL provides a well defined API, programs should be able
to work with any of the packages that provide that interface.
All packages will depend on libgl1.

All packages providing OpenGL support will 'Provides: libgl1'.
(when versioned provides become available, that will be changed to
'Provides: libgl1 (== 1.2)').

The big question is when. Should we get the mesa 3.1 based packages
into potato or wait until the next release? Putting them into
potato means one of two things: all packages depending on opengl are
recompiled and linked with -lGL or all packages providing opengl
provide a link libGL.so.1 <- /usr/lib/libMesa.so.3. I'll bring up
this point in a separate thread on debian-devel.

> PS: How long does it take, on average, for packages to
> work their way through incoming??

Depends. An upgrade of a package already in the distribution should
go through the next day. New packages can take anywhere from a few
days to weeks.

--
James (Jay) Treacy
treacy@debian.org