Re: Proposal for a new installation boot concept

On Wed, 2 Oct 1996, Juergen Menden wrote:

menden>> The DOS format is universally supported across all platforms. If something
menden>> must be changed then any operating system can be used to copy/modify
menden>> files.
menden>
menden>sorry, i don't understand. are you talking about the
menden>dos filesystem type or about the operating system (if dos is one :-)
menden>
menden>in the first case: the filesystem type is not needed, if
menden>you put all things you need in simple files. and why do you
menden>need to start FreeDos?
With dos you can simply put the disk for example into the next mac and
change something.
I am talking about the boot procedure specifically on i386. If there is
anything that would make it more platform portable then please tell us.

What else would you have to boot up Linux?

The choices are:
1. lilo		Disadvantage : cannot copy kernel to floppy from dos or OS/X
		No support for a RAMDISK image in a DOS file.
2. loadlin	Needs DOS to be started first to work.
3. Kernel Loader No configurability
4. syslinux	Needs two disks cannot handle compressed ramdisk on same
                floppy. Not updated since awhile

{}    Snail Mail:   FTS Box 466, 135 N.Oakland Ave, Pasadena, CA 91182        {}
{}    FISH Internet System Administrator at Fuller Theological Seminary       {}
PGP Public Key  =  FB 9B 31 21 04 1E 3A 33  C7 62 2F C0 CD 81 CA B5