Re: xdm config after install

On Sun, 5 May 1996, Maarten Boekhold wrote:

> I didn't say 'yes' when xbase asked me if I wanted to start xdm at
> boot-time, but now I'd like to see how it works here. How do I set this up?
> I tried just to type 'xdm' at the root-prompt, but it didn't do a thing.

Depends which version of xbase you have installed. The latest versions
are configured through the file /etc/X11/config; if you want to start xdm
at boot time, put the line 'start-xdm' in this file. If you want xdm to
start an X server, put the line 'xdm-start-server' in this file. (This
feature is new with xbase-3.1.2-9; previously you had to insert the line
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X
into the file /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers by hand.)

Steve Early
sde1000@cam.ac.uk