Re: How to do dissapear-replace with dpkg

> I have (finally!) created an inn package (inn1.4unoff4), and have
> some troubles. The source builds 2 binary packages: inn and inewsinn.
> Ofcourse inewsinn is a subset of inn, so I want inn to replace inewsinn
> when it is installed.

I don't think this is how 'replaces' is intended to work.  If inn and
inewsinn really are mutually exclusive packages where the user can
choose one of the other, they should just conflict with each other.
My understanding is that 'replaces' should only be used when a new
package provides the functionality of an old package making the old
package obsolete (e.g. sysvinit replaces last).

> Now I have in the control file for inn:
> Provides: news-transport-system, inews
> Replaces: inews
>
> I thought this would make it replace the existing inews package,
> but no:
>
> [Q:root](/project/debian/INN)> dpkg -i inn-1.4unoff4-1.deb
> (Reading database ... 17198 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking inn (from inn-1.4unoff4-1.deb) ...
> dpkg: error processing inn-1.4unoff4-1.deb (--install):
>  trying to overwrite `/etc/news/whoami', which is also in package inewsinn
>  inn-1.4unoff4-1.deb
>
> What am I doing wrong?

I don't know.  Perhaps dpkg isn't taking the replaces into account
when it checks for overwrites.  Ian J.?

David