Re: Overwriting files from other packages will require Replaces

On Mon, 11 Mar 1996 Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca wrote:

> Dale
>
> read Ian Jackson's announcement about dpkg-1.1.1elf which offers
> "replaces:".

Did. It was what sparked my original question.

> But I think we should deal differently with mailcap and mime.types and
> provide them by central package.

This would certainly work, but I'm not sure it's what pine and metamail
need. I have had the time to look at the metamail source. Metamail does
not declare /etc/mailcap as a confile so that's not it. What I noticed is
that, as far as I can tell, metamail provides mime capability for
non-mime compliant mailers. Pine provides mime capability (althought
there are those who don't think so :-) so the question is: shouldn't pine
and metamail conflict? If not, I can install mailcap in the postinstall
script, only if it doesn't already exist. This assumes that the two
packages install compatible mailcap files, ie. metamail mailcap should
function for pine and pine mailcap should function for metamail. I'll
check to see if they are, in fact, the same.

Later,

Dwarf