Is crond sending mail?

   Date: Mon, 21 Mar 94 21:16 PST
   From: jolomo@netcom.com (Joe Morris)

   I didn't see any flags that might enable this in crontab or crond
   manpages. Somebody advise me so I can find out if my backups
   are taking place without doing a table of contents :)

I've upgraded cron to 3.0pl1 for 0.92.  I don't remember having a
problem with output mailing in 0.91, but this version is doing it just
fine.  The new version also has a `-e' option and several other nice
features.

I've also massively changed the way /var/adm backups are made (and the
whole crontab setup, actually...).  Instead of mailing and erasing (or
worse, erasing without a trace) these fairly important files, they are
now compressed and backed up to a special directory before they are
erased.  A specified number of these backups can be kept around at a
time; the script takes care of doing the backup and cycling the old
backups.

Ian Murdock <imurdock@gnu.ai.mit.edu>