Re: plans for doom packages

On 06/28/2013 01:13 PM, Simon McVittie wrote:
> On 28/06/13 14:55, Jonathan Dowland wrote:
>> Where should this wrapper live? In the *-wad packages generated by
>> game-data-packager?
no, in each engine package, each engine "registers" itself by wrappers.
vavoom would create 8 wrappers

- doom
- doom2
- freedoom
- tnt
- plutonia
- heretic
- hexen
- strife

other engines could register more or less wrappers depending on what
they do run

wrappers should live in /usr/lib/$engine/$wrapper (IMHO, as vavoom does)

> I believe Gustavo's proposal is that each engine provides an alternative
> for doom and an alternative for doom2? Something like this:
>
>     /usr/bin/doom2 -> /etc/alternatives/doom2
>     /etc/alternatives/doom2 -> /usr/lib/prboom/doom2
>     $ cat /usr/lib/prboom/doom2
>     #!/bin/sh
>     exec /usr/bin/prboom -iwad /usr/share/games/doom/doom2.wad

that is exactly what i want to propose, thanks for making it clear for
others

> This makes it fractionally easier to run Doom 1 or 2 from a
> command-line... I can't see much advantage apart from that.

main advantage i see is we cover from different switches on different
engines, the current ones and the future ones

> I don't think game-data-packager's output should contain anything like a
> wrapper script that is likely to have bugs or (implementable!) feature
> requests, because we don't really have a way to keep users' copies of
> those packages updated.
100% agreed