Re: Recommended keys in ‘foo.desktop’ files

Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:

> The value for [the ‘StartupNotify’ key] defaults to “false”

Not true; the default behaviour, according to the specification
<URL:http://standards.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/1.0/ar01s05.html>,
is “implementation-defined” in the absence of the ‘StartupNotify’ key.

> Therefore, while the standard is correct not to mark the
> ‘StartupNotify’ key as “required”, I think every *current*
> ‘foo.desktop’ file should have this key, explicitly declaring its
> value.

I think this recommendation is even stronger, to avoid falling back on
implementation-defined behaviour for startup notification.

> Are there any other “recommended” keys like this: that, though the key
> is optional, it is best to specify it anyway?

I'm still interested in this. I have implemented a tag for this,
‘desktop-entry-missing-recommended-key’, and submitted it as a bug
report against Lintian <URL:http://bugs.debian.org/540484>.

--
 \           “In case you haven't noticed, [the USA] are now almost as |
  `\     feared and hated all over the world as the Nazis were.” —Kurt |