Re: DebConf12?

On Tue, May 22, 2012 at 3:18 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:

> - I'd love to have talks held *by* representative of derivatives telling
>  us the initiatives they are participating in to work with Debian. We
>  had a few DebConf-s ago a similar talk by Jorge Castro representing
>  Ubuntu and it was great. It would be nice to have something similar
>  again, not necessarily only from Ubuntu but also spanning other
>  derivatives. To obtain this, however, we'll need to invite
>  representative of derivatives to submit (or at least participate in) a
>  talk.

There will be people from derivatives at DebConf, but as yet they
don't appear to have registered any events like this.

> - The Derivatives round table BoF seems a must :)

Hmm, this seems to be a combination of two events? Are you thinking an
event like Andreas Tille's derivatives panel/round table from
DebConf11 or the derivatives BoF at DebConf10 that was around an oval
table in a small room?

> - I'd love a "state of the derivatives front desk" address, similar to
>  the one I held last year trying to span all derivatives related
>  initiatives. It's good as a reminder we exist (and are growing!) and
>  also as "advertisement" for those who are maybe relatively new to
>  Debian and don't know about this list and related activities. Paul, I
>  fear you'd be the best person to hold such a talk :-P

I am a very poor public speaker so I won't be doing this, I'd be happy
to give advice to anyone who wants to do this though.

> What else?

With Friday being the end of the CfP period, I thought I would
summarise the current situation. There are a couple of derivatives
related events in penta now:

"Project for Latin American People" Debian-day talk that mentions
Canaima in the abstract.

Some of you maybe interested in the "Getting packages into Debian
BoF", which is not directly related to derivatives stuff but is very
relevant to lots of derivatives.

There is a "Integrating Emdebian into Debian" BoF that I think will be
quite interesting.

There is a talk for Debian-day called "Improving Ubuntu from Debian",
which has been on the increase in recent times, an interesting topic.

If no-one else registers a general derivatives BoF before the deadline
then I'll register one, probably DebConf10-style.

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise