Re: billions and billions of stars.... was: Re: Another easter egg in gnome-something...

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 11:12:45AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> > Since this starts to look like a language lesson here is the Swedish
> > words - which also follows the Brittish way.
> >
> > 10^3  tusen
> > 10^6  miljon
> > 10^9  miljard
> > 10^12 biljard
> > 10^15 triljard
>
> 10^12 biljon
> 10^15 biljard
> 10^18 triljon
> 10^21 triljard
>
> unless swedish is less like the other scandinavian languages than
> I though.  A google search seems to prove me right.

Well, here in Norway my dictionary only have
10^3  tusen
10^6  million
10^9  milliard
10^12 billion
10^18 trillion
10^24 kvadrillion

A bit more history: All of the above has French/Italian origin (says my
dictionary), and the word "tusen" (thousand) originates from the
norrøn/"old norse" word dúsund (the first d should be that th-like d),
which probably comes from stor-hundre or kraft-hundre
(big/strong-hundred)...

--
Carl Lunde