Re: Debian Jessie images are removed

On Fri, 31 Jul 2020, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> So by this you say: Debian Cloud team should have Debian Jessie images
> available until Extended LTS is over, which would be 2022-06-30?

No, I'm saying that I agree with Noah that we should not remove
cloud images, but just hide them. We should not break any automation
that our users might have created even if the images are no longer
supported security wise.

We should communicate clearly their unsupported status but we should
not remove them. We also keep our old releases on archive.debian.org.

OK, maybe we should not keep them for eternity because it's not
good for the planet to keep them when they are really not used
at all. But I would use a time frame that is way longer than EOL + a few
days.

> not covered by LTS (NOT Extended LTS!) any more is a bad idea. Users
> should at that time not spin of new VMs any more with old Debian
> versions. The scripts are still available to build new 'old images'.

The new VMs might not be long-lasting VM, they can possibly be transient
VM spinned for specific tasks. In such a context, the removal entirely
breaks the user's setup. I tend to agree that when one setup a long
lasting VM, they should not start from an old version and that's the
reason why we hide old versions.

Cheers,
--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀   Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>