Re: Long-overdue slides and notes from the DC13 official Debian images BoF

Le Mon, Oct 21, 2013 at 06:01:31PM -0700, Jimmy Kaplowitz a écrit :

> I don't see the advantage of a two-part build process for cloud images,and
> have even found it to be a pain to maintain in other, non-Debian contexts.
> As I said, the diff transparency you want is already there.

Hello everybody,

I think that we should aim at images that are as generic as possible.  If it is
impossible, we should at least document why.

For instance, we could aim to have cloud-init installed by default provided
that it runs only where appropriate.  Amazon images are booted by PV-GRUB, via
a configuration file, /boot/grub/menu.lst, that is not used otherwise if
booting the image with GRUB2, used for example when booting with VirtualBox..
So if we can pass parameters to activate cloud-init via the PV-GRUB boot process, we
can have it running on Amazon but not on a local VirtualBox.  If the same idea
can be expanded to the other cloud and virtualisation platforms, this removes
one of the needs for separate sets of images.

Does that look doable ?

Cheers,

--
Charles Plessy