Re: Stretch release testing - up to and including Saturday 17th June

On 06/17/2017 01:31 AM, Thomas Schmitt wrote:
Hi,

Jimmy Johnson wrote:
Tried both installs and they failed on finding the dvd.

Did your BIOS or EFI not notice the presence of a bootable DVD and
instead just does what is usual when no DVD is inserted at boot time ?

I'm sorry, I should have been clearer, the dvd boots and runs live to desktop, it's when I click to install and it gets to finding the dvd is when it loop unable to find the dvd.

If you do not get boot messages from ISOLINUX or GRUB to finally
get to the Debian menu which offers installation, then we have a
problem with boot entry points.

The only computer that could not boot the live dvd is an older laptop Lenovo 3000(i965) with no EFI. It's the same comp. that has problems with linux 4.9.0-3, for me it's a retired laptop and has been replaced with a newer ThinkPad that booted and ran the live dvd to desktop.

I'd need to know the exact URL of the problematic ISO in this case,
in order to examine its initial boot entries.

https://get.debian.org/images/weekly-live-builds/amd64/iso-hybrid/debian-live-testing-amd64-kde.iso

I also tested the RC5 Net-Install, I had no problems with it.

https://get.debian.org/images/stretch_di_rc5/amd64/iso-cd/debian-stretch-DI-rc5-amd64-netinst.iso

It would then help if you can tell whether the boot firmware of the
machines is EFI or BIOS.

Except for the one laptop mentioned above, all my comps. are EFI, set to boot Legacy and they booted the live dvd okay, but looped on the install while finding the dvd.

No problems with the RC5 net-install.

Have a nice day :)

Thomas

Cheers,
--
Jimmy Johnson

Debian Jessie - KDE 4.14.2 - Intel G3220 - EXT4 at sda10
Registered Linux User #380263