Re: Redesign of cdimage website

On Fri, 16 Nov 2001, Wichert Akkerman wrote:

> Previously Richard Atterer wrote:
> > How do people like it? Does it stand any chance of eventually
> > replacing <http://cdimage.debian.org/>?
>
> I already like it a lot more then the current maze.

ditto.  some points i'd make

o there are images for both unstable and testing, but only for i386
  that i know about.  there's someone out there doing images for
  all the architectures, but i don't have the disk space.

  i know we carry iso images for unstable and testing, generated
  by Atilla Nagy from fsn.hu

o i assume a number of those links are going to point at verious
  different mirror lists - are they going to be maintained at
  cdimage, or use existing ones ?

   . option 1 (jigdo) - assuming you get the jigdo templates, i assume this
     just points at the normal debian mirror list ?

   . option 2 (http/ftp) - a separate list maintained by cdimage of http/ftp
     sites ?  also, there is no mention of rsync here.  a number of "power"
     users would list that listed.

   . option 3 (buy) - a separate list maintained by cdimage ? or is there
     an existing list of cd retailers being maintained somewhere, which
     breaks down by country ?  we (planetmirror.com) don't currently
     sell CDroms, but we're looking at doing that by user request as well
     as to help provide some $$ to keep the resources needed for the
     debian* mirrors here.

   . you probably want to be a bit less harsh on the PIK description - perhaps
     "quite complex" rather than "user unfriendly" ;-)

it looks really good and simple richard - worlds away from the previous complexity
which, though well intentioned, had the effect of annoying or confusing (or both)
a lot of people.

regards,

-jason