Re: upgrade still not working good.

On Wed, 5 Apr 2000, Andreas Jellinghaus wrote:

> oops. to clarify:
>  - apt in slink has not apt-cdrom that does not know how to
>     echo "please insert cd xyz"; read; mount ...

This statement is correct, but you might not have meant that (very few people
use two negations to express something easy ;-)

The apt on my system which is completely 2.1r4 (apt-cdrom --version: apt
0.3.11 for i386 compiled on Aug 8 1999 10:14:00) handles multiple CDs okay and
also politely asks for them.

>  - dpkg-multicd does no usefull dependency sorting.

That's exactly why it's obsolete.

> so, without installing apt from potato you cannot update to potato.

I don't know, but I didn't try either ;-). But if you were running apt from
potato on a slink system, weren't there any dependency conflicts with e.g.
libc6.1?

> > Then which apt did you install? The one currently in slink? (which means your
> > slink system wasn't 100% up-to-date)
>
> did the last update a few weeks ago.
>
> in the / of the cdrom there are too many README files, most of them are
> not usefull, and the two important ones are missing: README.install and
> README.upgrade.

Ask the people on -boot. And ask many many times -- they don't seem to have a
high priority for documentation.

> The cdrom must also contain the latest apt from slink, because you cannot
> update without ti (right ?), and the README.upgrade must say, that you
> first need to install that new apt, and then the rest.
>
> if the new apt in slink requires anything beside the slink 2.1r0 base,
> these files also have to be on the cd.

Agreed.

> and someone should figure out if updateing from older debian is possible (or
> not), and how to do that.

Can someone enlighten me: is it _POSSIBLE_ to compile the latest apt on a hamm
system? I mean, making a .deb package. I expect problems with debhelper etc.

Otherwise: it might be possible to use 2.1r0 apt (there is a hamm version of
that one on all 2.1rX CDs) with only the Binary-1 CD mounted somewhere; then
on that partially-upgraded hamm-potato system install the latest apt (should
be done while upgrading!) and finally use apt-cdrom to get the rest.

> > Upgrading with dselect is not really the way to go (at least, wasn't with
> > hamm->slink). "apt-get dist-upgrade" should do everything just fine. Use a
> > "--no-act" to see what's going to be done.
>
> great the only curses fronent we have, and it is not doing the job.
> please put all that in the README.upgrade.

WAS in the slink readme, so should be in the yet-to-be-written potato version
too.

> looks like suse does a better job than debian: inster the cd, start yast,
> everything works fine. sure, they can´t do incremental updates, but that
> will not help most of the newby users.

Please redirect these discussions to -devel.
Many Many Flames 100% Guaranteed ;-))

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer