Re: 24MB bootable CD install image

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Mark Horn wrote:

[...]
> Here is how I made the 24MB bootable Debian install CD:
[etc.]

Excellent job! People have been asking for something like this a long time.

However, for things to be "adopted" by debian-cd, experience shows that you've
got to do a little bit more. It would be very nice if there was a simple shell
script that would just do everything without intervention. Should be called
for example:

  make-netinstcd /path/to/debian potato /tmp/workdir /tmp/netinstcd.iso

This is supposed to be run on a machine with a complete copy of the Debian FTP
archive under /path/to/debian (so dists/ is /path/to/debian/dists). The
example will use the potato version, it should also use the
disks-i386/current/ symlink. /tmp/workdir should be some work space that holds
at least XYZ MB (you specify), the resulting .iso is named /tmp/netinstcd.iso.

It would be very wise to also use `mkhybrid' as the rest of the debiancd
package does.

You can also specify that /tmp/workdir should be on the same partition as the
entire Debian archive, in which case you can easily use hardlinks to the
disks/current/ files (doesn't require "any" disk space).

Also, instead of creating only an .iso image, you could also think of using
mkdosfs (?) to put the thing on a (bootable) ZIP disk or LS120 floppy.
Either let the script create both (simplest) or make two scripts (other e.g.
make-netinstzip).

BTW, as long as no modification to the boot disks are required, the debian-cd
list is the place to discuss this kind of thing.

And if you already happen to have such an .iso downloadable somewhere, I'd
really like to take a look at it. If you have a slink version, we can put it
up on cdimage.debian.org.

Regards,
  Anne Bezemer