Re: Clustering.

Hi Steven,

> Hi Thomas,
>
> On 08/07/14 13:58, Thomas Martin wrote:
>> Is there any way to use heartbeat/pacemaker on Debian GNU/kFreeBSD ?
>> I tried to compile it unsuccessfully (because of this dependencies
>> which I'm not able to compile; for example: cluster-glue).
>
> It looked viable to get heartbeat working, but the chain of reverse-deps
> would need to be ported one-by-one.

First of all, glad to hear this! There is hope :)

>> I know I could use CARP but with it it's possible to have active
>> resources on nodeA and on ondeB at the same time even with preempt
>> enable... I must avoid that situation at all price.
>
> During the switchover, yes I think there's a chance of this.  Or if the
> CARP nodes are temporarily unable to communicate with each other they
> may both try to go active at once.

Actually this is more than that.
Let's say I have a cluster of two nodes managing 4 CARP interfaces
(all in the same group with preempt enable).

If em0 and em1 gets down on serverB and em3 get down on serverA: em3
will be active on serverB while all the others will still remains on
serverA.

I want to avoid that and heartbeat seems to be a good solution.

>> NB: output of cluster-glue's compilation (I delete iproute and
>> iputils-ping from build-depends):
>> ipcsocket.c: In function 'socket_verify_auth':
>> ipcsocket.c:2569:3: error: #error "No credential type found!"
>
> Yes I saw the same thing.
>
> We don't have FreeBSD's getpeereid because that's implemented in their
> libc.  We do have ucred capabilities though, which have been used in the
> past, see http://people.debian.org/~jcristau/kbsd-peercred.diff
>
> A similar approach might work here, but will require a bit of someone's
> time and skill.  After that I don't know how much more porting work
> would be still needed or if we hit a more difficult problem later.
>
> Regards,
> --
> Steven Chamberlain
> steven@pyro.eu.org

I have to admit that this is really over my C's knowledge.
But I will take a look at this and try to debug a little more.

Thanks.

Regards.