Re: Next attempt to add Blends to Debian installer

Hi Holger,

thanks a lot for your effort.  Its really appreciated and very valuable
for the Blends effort.

Am Thu, May 09, 2024 at 11:05:28PM +0200 schrieb Holger Wansing:
> Holger Wansing <hwansing@mailbox.org> wrote (Tue, 13 Feb 2024 23:43:35 +0100):
> > could we just "copy tasksel with its UI and infrastructure" into a new package
> > (I name it 'blends-di-tasks' here), which has all the blends listed, and add
> > one entry to tasksel with a name like "Debian Pure Blends" or similar?
> >
> > If one then selects "Debian Pure Blends" in the good all known tasksel, the
> > blends-di-tasks package would be installed on /target, and later a new dialog
> > would appear, listing all the blends, where the user could select which one to
> > install.
> > (If the "Debian Pure Blends" entry stays unchecked, as would be the default
> > value, everything stays as is: the new dialog would not appear, no difference
> > to previous releases.)
> >
> > Would that be a possible solution for all involved parties?
>
> I worked on this in the meantime, and would like to propose my current
> state:

While I guess the natural place for your packages is installer-team I've
just added you to the team in case you want to maintain some
(additional?) packages there.

> - I adapted tasksel, to become an installer for Debian pure blends. The
>   new package is blendsel, see https://salsa.debian.org/holgerw/blendsel/

I've build this package and besides a nitpicking comment thet you should
probably fix your ID in Uploaders field.

> - I prepared a change in pkgsel, to call blendsel depending on the
>   descision, if Debian pure blends are wanted or not.
>   See https://salsa.debian.org/holgerw/pkgsel/
>

> I did some testing in d-i, however that's tricky:
> testing is problematic as long as the new blendsel package is not in the
> archive, and the same with the changed pkgsel.
> So I had to "live-patch" the d-i for testing of blendsel, and therefore
> I cannot provide a working test image or the like (or I don't know how).

I admit I have no idea how to test in d-i but Cyril has given some
answers according to this.

> Anyway, I think I have it running so far, the blendsel dialog appears
> and shows the items to select; I'm attaching a screenshot showing the
> current state (please note, that the dialog shows three desktop environments
> as placeholder for now; the tasksel - and therefore blendsel as well -
> logic does not allow to have packages|tasks|blends listed that don't
> have the corresponding task-* packages in the archive).

I've build the package locally and confirm it works as described.

> However, there will most likely be some glitches and edges to fix in
> blendsel, a review would be more than welcome...
> The template should be rephrased, I would ask for review on debian-l10n-english
> when the time comes, but I guess there is still time for that...

ACK.

> So, how to proceed now?
> To make progress, the new blendsel needs to get into the archive I guess,
> otherwise testing and providing test images will not work IMO.
>
> Would the installer-team be ok with taking blendsel under its umbrella,
> as tasksel is, to get it uploaded?

Just let me know if you need any support besides questions that can only
be answered by installer team.

Thanks again for your work
    Andreas.

--