Re: Shipping the mini.iso files with the installer-images package?

Hi kibi,

On Sun, Dec 10, 2023 at 03:00:56PM +0100, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
> Hi Wouter,
>
> Wouter Verhelst <wouter@debian.org> (2023-12-10):
> > I just created
> > https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/debian-installer-netboot-images/-/merge_requests/3,
> > which removes the "grep -v mini.iso" from the "get-images.sh" script.
> > The idea being that it can be useful to have a mini.iso available
> > locally in case you want to install a VM with libvirt. While it's
> > possible to PXE boot a VM and install that way, this involves some
> > infrastructure that needs to be set up, and pointing to a .iso file that
> > exists locally seems easier.
> >
> > I usually have a netboot mini.iso file in my home directory for that
> > purpose, but it needs to be kept up to date with every point release,
> > and that's a bit of an annoyance. I think it would be easier to just
> > have it in the debian-installer-netboot-images package.
>
> Do you have stats before/after? Looks like it could easily double or
> triple the size of each binary package?

I don't. Creating those stats currently is somewhat difficult, because
of the version flux resulting from last weekend's two releases. But
yeah, presumably it would at least double the size of each binary
package, because the mini.iso files contain the same thing as the other
files do. I'll give it a few days and will try again afterwards.

If size is a concern, we could perhaps create
"debian-installer-*-mini-iso-*" packages instead (e.g.,
"debian-installer-12-mini-iso-amd64") which would contain the mini.iso
files, rather than the actual netboot files? This obviously in addition
to current packages.

--
     w@uter.{be,co.za}
wouter@{grep.be,fosdem.org,debian.org}

I will have a Tin-Actinium-Potassium mixture, thanks.