Re: Firmware GR result - what happens next?

On 13/10/2022 at 10:13, Cyril Brulebois wrote:
Pascal Hambourg <pascal@plouf.fr.eu.org> (2022-10-13):
What about firmware not available in Debian packages ? For example
Prims54 wireless adapters using p54pci and p54usb drivers included
in nic-wireless-modules-*-di need firmware unavailable in Debian
packages.

As far as I understand it, they can be packaged once their
redistributability is clarified?

What if some firmware is not redistributable in the end ?

The above example is for old hardware and the download URLs are mentioned in the Debian wiki, so I assumed that the reason why it was not packaged was because it was not redistributable. But maybe I was wrong and nobody just cared.

Also, I assume that packages such as firmware-b43legacy-installer and firmware-b43-installer which download Broadcom drivers and extract the firmware from them would not need to exist if the firmware was known to be redistributable. But I may be wrong again.