Re: #698707 installation-report: Installation Report using USB stick

Hi,

On 23/01/13 11:21, Vincent McIntyre wrote:
> Hi Paul,
> you said
>
>> Grub install failed:
>>   - proposes to install on first hard drive (as always)
>>   - but first hard drive was the USB stick
>>   - install failed, USB stick not damaged (whew)
>>   - post installation:
>>     - regenerated device map and reinstalled grub bootloader
>>
>> Is there a good point during the install to remove the USB stick
>> to ensure the real disk is detected as the first hard drive ?

I guess there isn't;  after the GRUB install step you must still go
through the 'Finish installation' step which seems likely to fail if the
install media has been unplugged/replugged.

> and then closed the bug since the installation was successful overall.
> I have a question for the list - why should this be considered a success?

Christian Perrier closed the bug, not Paul.  Probably only because all
checkboxes were marked with [O] = OK:

> Install boot loader:    [O]

But yes there is this long-standing GRUB issue.  I thought there was an
open bug for it somewhere but I can't find it.

Regards,
--
Steven Chamberlain
steven@pyro.eu.org