Re: partman (was Re: Removing unused d-i udebs from archive)

On Mon, Apr 05, 2004 at 10:46:05PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:

> We do have a beta3 branch in the repo, but it's acting more like a tag,
> I guess, no changes have been made to it.
>
> I tried the new partman, and it works great. Wow, that's a lot of work!
> My only quibble is with the use of the term Wizard, as in "Use the
> Wizard to partition". I don't think wizard is a proper noun, so should
> not be capitalised, and I don't see how this is better than the old
> "Automatically partition". It assumes that the user is familiar with
> windows wizard-type things (and doesn't hate them ;-), and seems overly
> cute to me.

Just my $0.05 worth...

On a system that I've already got an operating system installed on, that I
really, really would prefer not to hose, I'm going to fear and distrust
anything that uses the words "Automatic" and "Partition" together, and
choose some other option that implies I have more control over whether or
not I accidentally hose the partition that has my other OS on it...

Particularly if I'm not confident before selecting the item that it isn't
going to go off on it's merry way and do something unrevertable before I get
a chance to go "hang on!".

I suspect users new to Linux/Debian but familiar with PCs in general are
going to take this line of reasoning.

regards

Andrew