Re: Request to fast track gitlab dependencies

On 2019, മാർച്ച് 4 3:01:17 PM IST, Thorsten Glaser <t.glaser@tarent.de> wrote:
>On Mon, 4 Mar 2019, Pirate Praveen wrote:
>
>> The bug that caused removal from testing was a meta bug to keep
>gitlab
>> out of buster. If that can be considered a valid excuse to keep
>gitlab
>> in stretch-backports, please do. The package in backports-new fixes
>
>Please read again the backports rules.

I get it now, religiously following rules is valued more than solving a real problem for Free Software and our users. For many, keeping gitlab out of stretch-backports is a better solution even though its in a perfectly fine shape. For them, it does not matter the reason for removal from testing.

On hindsight, I could have done the following with disregard for other team concerns and still be within rules.

1. Close that bug as bogus as it was not a real bug.
2. Not bother with rails 5 transition, which would have allowed keeping gitlab in buster and stretch-backports.

I will take this as a lesson and stop bothering with helping anything I don't strictly need for gitlab.

I uploaded rails 5 to unstable fully knowing it will break gitlab, as I didn't want to keep rails in a bad shape in buster.

>Anything in stretch-backports is exactly identical to what
>is in buster, except for being built against stretch and,
>only if needed, stretch-backports packages, and possibly
>with patches to make it build there.
>
>If it's not in buster it naturally cannot be in stretch-backports.

By such strict interpretation, that bug was clearly bogus as well.