Re: abi-compliance-checker and library transitions [Re: another attempt at Y2038]

On 2023-02-20 17:53 +0100, Diederik de Haas wrote:
> On Monday, 20 February 2023 16:24:37 CET Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> > > It certainly provides evidence for the idea that this is not
> > > completely intractable, which I think many people (including me)
> > > worried was the case initially.
> >
> > When I did a similar analysis a few years ago using just pattern-matching
> > on header files, the result was that more than half the total packages
> > in Debian depended on at least one other package that needed an ABI
> > transition, which in my mind made it unrealistic.

> If you do it in the early stage of Trixie's dev cycle, would it still be
> unrealistic? It may be a bumpy ride and take a while, but I don't see an
> immediate issue with that. Sid may finally become Unstable again ;-P
>
> But *when* you do it, is quite relevant. If you/we are only a few months away
> from the Trixie Freeze, then it's probably not a good idea.
> But if we're 1-1.5 years before that, there's plenty of time to fix things.
>
> Or is that too simplistic on my part?

No. I think that's reasonable.

One thing we do have to worry about right now is that anything which
has enabled LFS anytime in the last 15 years that rebuilds against a
current gnulib will automatically get 64-bit time_t unless they
explicitly turn it off. We may well have packages in the archive that
have had this done to them without noticing, and clearly we don't want
to do this in bookworm.

I'm not quite sure what the best way to check for this is. Is there a
place one can grep all buildlogs? AIUI gnulib is statically included
in the build a-la autoconf so it probably only happens when a new
upstream is pulled in with updated gnulib. BICBW.

gnulib doesn't seem to do releases (last tag 9 years ago 'v0.1') so I'm not quite sure when this changed.
Ah July 2021: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=gnulib.git;a=history;f=m4/year2038.m4;h=2e4427e6fac10550c99748abebf31b61e6afda2b;hb=b9bf95fd0a6ab666b484b1e224321664f051f7fa

So the module has existed since 2017, but only defaults on since mid
2021. I'm not sure what one should be looking for in build logs to set
off the alarms.

Wookey
--
Principal hats:  Debian, Wookware, ARM