Re: u-boot vs installer images

Thanks, Vagrant for the quick response.

Am Dienstag, 13. Oktober 2020, 00:34:36 CEST schrieb Vagrant Cascadian:
> On 2020-10-12, Rainer Dorsch wrote:
> > I just browsed through the bullseye installation guide. I saw there is a
> > section on
> >
> > 3.6.2. Debian-provided U-Boot (system firmware) images
> > https://www.debian.org/releases/testing/armhf/ch03s06.en.html
> >
> > and
> >
> > 5.1.5. Using pre-built SD-card images with the installer
> > https://www.debian.org/releases/testing/armhf/ch05s01.en.html
> >
> > I am just wondering if I use a pre-built SD-card images with the installer
> > do I still need the U-Boot (system firmware) images (I do not recall that
> > I used them previously)?
>
> The SD-card images include everything in the U-Boot system firmware
> images, but additionally have the installer components.
>
> > If not, what is the intended usecase for the U-Boot (system
> > firmware) images?
>
> You might be able to use them to boot an EFI installer image on USB
> media for a machine that only boots from SD card, as one example.
>
> For some platforms, the offsets used on the raw media for u-boot might
> be incompatible with the EFI installer image layout, so you may not be
> able to have both on a single media; maybe with some work that could be
> fixed in some cases.
>

> 3.6.2. Debian-provided U-Boot (system firmware) images:
>   The raw U-Boot components are provided for advanced users; the
>   generally recommended way is to use one of the ready-made SD card
>   images.
>
> So in general, use the ready-made SD card images.

What was somewhat confusing for me, this section continues in the installation
guide with:

"They are named <system-type>.sdcard.img.gz and can be written to a card e.g.
with "

The link a few lines further up shows

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/bullseye/main/installer-armhf/current/
images/u-boot/MX6_Cubox-i/MX6_Cubox-i.sdcard.img.gz

which matches perfectly the naming convention given their for the ready-made
SD card images.

But if I understood you correctly, I should better use what is referenced in
Section 5.1.5.

http://http.us.debian.org/debian/dists/bullseye/main/installer-armhf/current/
images/netboot/SD-card-images/

I assume this firmware*.img.gz part contains U-boot as well, correct? And the
partition.img.gz contains the installer, correct?

Thanks
Rainer

--
Rainer Dorsch