Re: Testing boot loaders

On 01/03/17 15:00, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
On Wed, Mar 01, 2017 at 08:57:15AM +0000, Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
Yes, I agree. What I don't know yet is whether there's a comparatively
straightforward way to copy the loader (plus its header etc.) into the
appropriate area of Qemu's address space and then transfer to it. Ideally
after that there would be enough startup messages to indicate that the
kernel was running, even if there wasn't emulated framebuffer hardware.

I think that the latest Qemu might have MX50 support, but at this stage it's
the initial boot that's interesting.

Hmm, all I had seen was MX25.  Looking at the git tree I see 25, 31 and 6,
but no 5x.

Is this relevant? It's come via Android but does appear to have hardware definitions.

https://github.com/esminc/qemu/tree/master/Source/device-qemu/android/android-goldfish-3.4/arch/arm/mach-imx

u-boot code would not be likely to do much for you if qemu doesn't
emulate the machine u-boot was compiled for.  I have no idea how hard
adding a new machine to qemu would be.

Neither have I, and my attempts to understand Qemu code generation haven't been very successful so far. However I think the current problem boils down to (a) how do we get the loader code into the right bit of memory and (b) how do we trace through that, at least until we find unimplemented hardware?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk