Re: build a package for Raspberry PI

On Sun, Sep 07, 2014 at 01:24:37PM +0530, Ritesh Raj Sarraf wrote:
> RPi is really turning out slow now. Packages from Wheezy are not
> serving my needs and I am forced to build newer versions.
>
> I checked local availability, and I see CubieBoard 3 available. From
> what I've looked so far, this device looks to have proper ARMv7
> support. Which would imply that it would have better Debian support
> (except for the kernel, which will have to be built with all
> out-of-tree patches).

Pretty much any arm system you find is ARMv7, except the RPi (which is
the only ARMv6 I am aware of).  There are some ARMv5 systems around too
(especially with Marvell based SoCs).

> I'm inclining to buy it but thought of checking here first.
>
> The spec is:
>
>  * AllWinnerTech SOC A20, ARM® Cortex™-A7 Dual-Core, ARM® Mali400 MP2
>    Complies with OpenGL ES 2.0/1.1
>  * 2GB DDR3@480MHz (960MTPS)
>  * Internal Storage : 8GB NAND Flash
>  * HDMI & VGA 1080P display output on-board
>  * 10M/100M/1G Ethernet
>  * Wifi+BT wireless connection with antenna on-board
>  * SATA 2.0 interface support 2.5' HDD, (only for 3.5' HDD, need
>    another 12V power input)
>  * Storage solution: NAND+MicroSD or TSD+ MicroSD or 2*MicroSD
>  * 2 x USB HOST, 1 x OTG, 1 x Toslink (SPDIF Optical), 1 x IR, 4 x
>    LEDs, 1 Headphone, 3 x Keys
>  * Power: DC5V @ 2.5A with HDD, support Li-battery & RTC
>  * 54 extended pins including I2S, I2C, SPI, CVBS, LRADC x2,UART, PS2,
>    PWMx2, TS/CSI, IRDA, LINEIN&FMIN&MICIN, TVINx4 with 2.0 pitch connectors
>  * PCB size: 11cm *8cm*1.4mm, very suite for installing a 2.5' HDD

There is also the beaglebone black which is quite cheap although
not as powerful.

I have seen references to the BeagleBoard-X15 in a kernel git tree I
was looking at, which is a dual Cortex-A15.  They list 1GB to start with
2GB as a goal in the DTB comments.
http://git.ti.com/ti-linux-kernel/ti-linux-kernel/blobs/ti-linux-3.14.y/arch/arm/boot/dts/am57xx-beagle-x15.dts
It looks like they are planning to expose both gig ports from the onboard
switch, so it would have essentially two gigabit ports either switched
or running as seperate ports (using reserved vlans) sharing 1gigabit
of bandwidth.  I would expect SATA and HDMI too given the CPU supports
both.  Probably onboard emmc like the beaglebone and a microsd as well
or I would be surprised.  In fact reading the DTB makes me quite sure
it has eMMC, microSD and HDMI.  Of course they could change it before
it is released.

Unfortunately the video is powervr on that one.

I would expect that one to be out by the end of the year or early
next year based on when I understand the CPU to be officially released.
No idea what it would cost.  If it comes in at around $100 I would love
one even with the powervr crap.

--
Len Sorensen