Re: Rootfs on sheevaplug without killing my sd cards / usb sticks

I'll awnser all in one here

harddrive is a no go, don't want it running all the time, it's only for
backups

the reduced writes (no atime, ext2, etc) are already active though I need to
set a higher "block io" time so it will gather more data to write at once

the card was a class 10 4gb sd card from sansa, as it cost 25 € i thought it'd
be decent =/

Am Freitag, 26. März 2010 12:01:40 schrieb Teis Dreijer:
> I'd suggest you keep away from MLC memory and stick with SLC. As its
> easier to tell the difference between states with only two states, it
> should last longer before encountering problems with reading data.

I can't see that from the outside right? Is the internal flash slc?

> Are you sure the card is actually worn down? I'd think it should be good
> for another run once data is written to it again. *If* the problem is
> that the controller cannot tell the difference with multiple bits being
> stored on each cell.

Yes, I formatted it and copied the old system over, took ages, especially
unmounting took multiple minutes so I guess the write queue was still packed
full and hard to really get onto the sd

I guess I just hit a really bad sd card, I'll attempt another go with using
ubifs and the nand flash of the sheeva plug

thanks alot everybody!
Karsten