libgdbm.so.3

Hi:

The executable for program MCCE-2 for protein analysis, installed as a
binary for Linux on my Deabian amd64 lenny, complains that

libgdbm.so.2

is not present

I made a symlink in /usr/lib

# libgdbm.so.3 libgdbm.so.2

but mcce raised the same complain above. Thus, contrary all my
previous experience with other programs requesting older libraries,
the symlink does not solve present problem. Although this program is
free for academic non commercial use, the source is not present for
download.

Therefore, my question: is any procedure to install the requested so.2
version of library from etch safe?

Thanks
francesco pietra