Events at login

Hope this is specific of amd64.

I can't exactly remember when the problem started, probably along with
a compilation. Now, at user login (single user, amd64 lenny, a
NUMA-type multi dual-opteron machine)  a long list appears before the
prompt. The list includes:

---"Last login ...date"

---Several lines of "declare -x", each such line for an environmental
variable,including.

That occurs even on no-password slogin from my desktop (this may
trigger some problem when launching calculations from the desktop).
Otherwise, the amd64 machine works properly.

>From where is the list read, and hod to kill that reading?

Thanks

francesco pietra