Re: rescue bootable cd ???

* "Gudjon I. Gudjonsson" <gudjon@mc2.chalmers.se> [2007:10:02:05:20:25+0200] scribed:
> Hi
>    It is also possible to use the install disk. You just stop after
> detecting the hard disk (don't reformat it :) Then you do:
> #mkdir /mnt
> #mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
> #chroot /mnt
> and then you can do whatever you need to fix your system.
>
> Hope it helps
> Gudjon

Unfortunately, both systems on which I experienced such calamity ran lvm
over software raid 5.  In fact, both systems ran lilo, not grub; and
everything was under lvm, including root and boot.  Under these
circumstances, there is specific configuration information missing, and
that prevents the debian install cd, and knoppix, from being able to
read my disks ;<

When I started this thread, I was thinking about the olden days, when I
(tried to remember to) ma[dk]e a boot floppy after each new kernel ;>

Any other ideas?

--
Best Regards,

helices