Re: Software vs Hardware RAID 10?

On Sun, Aug 26, 2007 at 10:42:40AM -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> I just figure it out by the numbers.  Maximum on plain PCI is 33MHz x
> 32bit = 132MB/s.  There is a bit of overhead so expect maybe 100MB/s
> actual throughput.  66MHz pci would double that, 64bit PCI would double
> it too, and PCI-X can be 100 or 133MHz which gives even more.  PCIe has
> I believe 250MB/s (in each direction so you can read and write at the
> same time unlike PCI) per lane, so x4 would have 1GB/s and x8 would have
> 2GB/s.  Once you get to 2GB/s you are starting to approach the limit of
> the cpu bus (athlon 64's hytertransport does 6.4 to 8 GB/s depending on
> the chipset and cpu model in each direction).  At an effective 1066MHz
> by 64bit intel's bus does about 9GB/s (although combined, not each
> direction).

What about SATA ports on the main board?  dmesg shows that ata1 and ata2
are on one interrupt, ata3 and ata4 on another, etc

Since SATA is still ATA, if you have two drives in software raid1,
should they be on ata1 and ata3 or is ata1 and ata2 OK (unlike PATA)?

This is an Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe AM/2 MB, Athlon64 running Etch amd64.

Doug.